Applying for Trust Authorisation
Before you apply for R&D approval please make sure you have registered your study with the R&D Governance office, by emailing Helen.Langston@uhb.nhs.uk or Lorna.Dudley@uhb.nhs.uk
The Trust authorisation procedures are intended to ensure that:
- Trust management has had an opportunity to assess the full implications of the research
- All research involving the Trust complies with all regulations, particularly those for which the Trust is legally liable
- Appropriate governance arrangements are in place once a study has started
- The Trust can comply with all external reporting requirements for research (e.g. Department of Health, Care Quality Commission, regulatory authorities etc.)
For all studies the R&D Governance Office requires:
- Sufficient information to enable an accurate assessment of the implications of the study for the Trust
- Evidence of research sponsorship.
- Confirmation of ethics approval and relevant regulatory approval.
- Satisfactory contractual agreements, particularly for commercially sponsored studies.
How do I apply for Trust Authorisation for a Study?
For studies that require review by an NHS Research Ethics Committee you must apply using the national online Integrated Research Application System (IRAS) to complete the IRAS R&D Form and IRAS SSI Form. Detailed guidance is available within IRAS on submission arrangements for R&D applications.